WHO WE ARE
The National Society of
The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia was formed in 1893 as the twelfth Corporate Society to become a member of the NSCDA, an organization devoted to furthering an appreciation of our national heritage through historic preservation, patriotic service, and educational projects.
The Georgia Society consists of 17 Town Committees: Albany, Americus, Atlanta, Athens, Augusta, Brunswick, Columbus, Macon, Madison, Marietta, Milledgeville, Moultrie, Rome, Savannah, Thomasville, Valdosta, and Waycross. The Georgia Society has approximately 1,600 members.
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America actively promotes our national heritage through historic preservation, patriotic service, and educational projects.
The headquarters of the NSCDA-GA is located at 319 Abercorn Street in Savannah, Georgia. Abercorn House is located in Savannah’s National Landmark Historic District on Lafayette Square directly across the street from the Cathedral Basilica of St. John the Baptist. Built for Frederika and Lehman Putzel in 1888, the Italianate style building was purchased by the NSCDA-GA in 2018 as its headquarters.
The Georgia Society is also the proud owner of Andrew Low House Museum in Savannah, Georgia. This magnificent house was purchased in 1928 from the estate of Juliette Gordon Low, daughter of the Society’s first president, Mrs. William Washington Gordon, for $37,500 and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Landmarks.
OUR CHARTER MEMBERS
The women who founded the Georgia Society in 1893.
Mrs. William Washington Gordon
(Eleanor Lytle Kinzie)
Mrs. Henry Rootes Jackson
(Florence Barclay King)
Mrs. Edward Clifford Anderson, Jr.
(Margaret Smith Randolph)
Mrs. Alexander Robert Lawton
Miss Eugenia Marion Johnston
Mrs. George Parsons Elliott
(Meta Eugene Harden)
Mrs. Thomas Saunderson Morgan
(Sarah Berrien Casey)
Mrs. Louis Gourdin Young
(Mary Stuart Waller)
Mrs. Joseph John Wilder
(Georgia Page King)
Mrs. Peter Wiltberger Meldrim
(Frances Pamela Casey)
Mrs. Thomas Forman Screven
(Sarah Lloyd Buchanan)
Mrs. Charles Henry Dixon
(Amelia Faries Pindar)
Mrs. Joseph Rucker Lamar
(Clarinda Huntingdon Pendleton)
Miss Emma Hamilton Bulloch
Mrs. Justus Robbins Bulkley
(Mary Keziah Adams)
Mrs. St. John Moore
(Julia Flournoy Carter)
Mrs. William Lane Boyce
Mrs. Ferdinand Phinizy
Mrs. Fleming Grantland Bailey
(Elizabeth Andrew Hill)
Mrs. William Washington Gordon, Jr.
(Ellen Buchanan Screven)
Mrs. William Mackay Low
(Juliette Magill Gordon)
Mrs. John Nisbet
(Virginia Lord King)
Mrs. William Seabrook Lawton
Mrs. William Garrard
Mrs. Abram Carrington Read
(Guillelma Seabrook Lawton)
Mrs. Pleasant Alexander Stovall
In 1896, the Society adopted the Trustees Colonial Seal of Georgia. The 1733 seal of the Georgia Trustees features two figures resting upon urns. They represent the Savannah and Altamaha Rivers, which formed the northwestern and southeastern boundaries of the province. The genius of the colony is seated beside a cornucopia, with a cap of liberty on her head and a spear in one hand.
The Gordonia Franklinia Alatamaha is the official flower of The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia.
This small flowering tree was discovered in 1765 by John and William Bartram close to the mouth of the Altamaha River near Darien. Known as the famous Lost Gordonia, the Bartrams named the tree for their good friend Benjamin Franklin and for the Altamaha River. William again visited the area in 1772 and 1776. Specimens collected at this time and sent to Philadelphia are the source of the present-day Franklinia plants.
OUR FRANKLINIA PIN
Each Corporate Society may have a pin to represent its Society. The pin of the Georgia Society is a gold replica of the blossom of the tree, Gordonia Franklinia Alatamaha. This pin may be worn at any time by any member of the Georgia Society.
Our beautiful scarf, designed for the Georgia Society, displays the pins of the thirteen Colonial State Societies and the Domicile Society (The D.C. Society). The NSCDA in Georgia is pleased to present this beautiful, unique National Scarf to all members of The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America created by the internationally acclaimed designer…
Our beautiful scarf, designed for the Georgia Society, displays the pins of the thirteen Colonial State Societies and the Domicile Society (The D.C. Society). The NSCDA in Georgia is pleased to present this beautiful, unique National Scarf to all members of The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America created by the internationally acclaimed designer Marisol Deluna. The scarf features widely researched symbols, Pantone colors, and other authentic details that convey the rich history and symbolism of our National Society.
At the center of the scarf, there is a spectacularly positioned majestic eagle, chosen in 1782 for its long life and great strength by the Second Continental Congress as the emblem of the United States of America. Above the eagle are three stars that are unmistakable symbols of American patriotism. These stars also represent the National Projects in which our members participate: Patriotic Service, Historical Activities, and Museum Properties. Under the eagle is the date of the founding of The National Society as a reminder of its longevity and continued importance in today’s world.
Each corner of the scarf features the Seal of The National Society. Within the Seal lies a shield with quadrants representing the medieval coats-of-arms of the royal families of France, Sweden, Holland, and England (clockwise from top right). Two of the important heraldic symbols represented are the fleur-de-lis, the beautiful yellow iris that grew wild from June to September across Europe in medieval times, as well as the lion, the king of beasts, representing bravery, valor, strength, and royalty. The lions are either passant (walking) or rampant (standing.)
Centered on the sides of the scarf, is the Badge of The National Society available to its members to wear. It consists of a disc with a center figure of a Dame. Above the Dame the eagle appears again indicating the strength of our membership. Surrounding the Dame are twenty gold rays, with three in each group plus a center one, surmounted with stars representing the original thirteen colonies. On the back of the Badge is engraved “Virtutes Majorum Filiae Conservant” meaning “Daughters Conserve the Virtues of Their Ancestors.”
The Badge of the National Society may be worn by any member of the National Society. The bar at the top indicates your Colonial State of admission and must be ordered separately. A second bar indicates the Colonial State of your qualifying ancestor. If these states are the same, you would not have the second bar. The only people who may have a third bar are the Presidents of their Societies. On the back of the Badge is our motto “Virtutes Majorum Filiae Conservant” – “Daughters conserve the virtues of their ancestors”. The Badge may…
The Badge of the National Society may be worn by any member of the National Society. The bar at the top indicates your Colonial State of admission and must be ordered separately. A second bar indicates the Colonial State of your qualifying ancestor. If these states are the same, you would not have the second bar. The only people who may have a third bar are the Presidents of their Societies. On the back of the Badge is our motto “Virtutes Majorum Filiae Conservant” – “Daughters conserve the virtues of their ancestors.” The Badge may be worn by members on all occasions when they assemble for any stated purpose, celebration, or ceremony. According to our Constitution, “It shall be carried conspicuously on the left breast.” As a matter of respect, no pin or bar of identification shall be worn above the Badge. The Badge is not called a pin. If a Dame were to have a previously owned Badge, they may not remove the engraving on the back. It is the visible history of the first owner. When personalizing a Badge that has been purchased from someone, has been inherited, or has been given, Dames can place at the top bar a disc on a small chain to which has been added your initials and number. These discs become the visible history of the present and all future owners of the Badge. These discs are not to be used as charms.
The Recognition pin is not given as a gift of merit, it is instead a pin that is used for Dames to ‘recognize’ each other! This small pin, taken from the center of the Badge can be worn at any time. Recently, it has been made into a beautiful charm that can be worn on a bracelet or a necklace but it may never be worn on the Badge or the ribbon with the bars.