Moultrie Project

This monument is located near Moultrie.

This monument is located near Moultrie.

While volunteering as a Docent in the Colquitt County Courthouse, Betty Hendrick of the Moultrie Town Committee first heard the story of Indian George from Elaine Bricker, also a Docent there.   At the time, Betty was Chairman of Historical Activities for the Moultrie Town Committee and was interested in recording history of early Colquitt County.  Betty wanted to know more about Indian George and the Creek Indian presence and believed that others in her community would like to know the story also.  She suggested to the local DAR chapter that they invite Elaine Bricker as a speaker.  Elaine is a very impressive story teller, with advanced degrees in Art History and Education and teaching experiences in Colquitt and Thomas counties.  Her presentations were engaging and she was generous with her knowledge.

News of Indian George spread!   Rotarians, Kiwanians and local church groups expressed interest.   Betty and Elaine found themselves meeting with Hunter Video Productions who produced the stories on dvd.  Funding for the recording of the story of Indian George, the Creek Indians and the historic Thigpen Trail was provided by the Moultrie Town Committee.

The Moultrie Town Committee has continued support of  this educational project, donating dvds to many locations — among them the Museum of Colquitt County History, Moultrie-Colquitt County Library and local school classrooms.  The purpose of the educational recordings is to acquaint people, young and old, with the significance of the trading route as it winds through Southwest Georgia.  It teaches the use of the trail by English traders in befriending the Creek Indians in the area and the alliance that resulted.

The monument pictured was erected by the John Benning Chapter, NSDAR in 1932, by Mrs. W. J. Vereen, Regent.  It represents the Thigpen Trail in South Georgia and includes a placque with description.

The Georgia Logo

Read more about the new state and national society logos in the Members section.

The Georgia Society

The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in The State of Georgia
Headquarters located on the ground floor of the Andrew Low House Museum
329 Abercorn Street
Savannah Georgia 31401
(912) 233-1828 FAX: 912-233-9239
www.nscdaga.org
Director: Sbohlin@andrewlowhouse.com

Georgia Society Pin

The official pin of the Georgia Society is the flower of the Franklinia alatamaha tree. For more information or to download an order form, see the "Forms" section.