Woodrow Wilson House

The Boyhood Home of President Woodrow Wilson (1859)

Address: 419 Seventh Street, Augusta, GA 30901 (Visitors Center next door at the Joseph Rucker Lamar Boyhood Home, 415 Seventh Street, Augusta, GA 30901)

Open: Tuesday-Saturday, Tours begin on the hour from 10:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.

Telephone: 706-724-0436

Website: www.wilsonboyhoodhome.org

Directions: From Interstate 20, take Exit 199 toward downtown. Follow Washington Road, John C. Calhoun Expressway and Greene Street to the intersection of Seventh Street. Turn right. Parking is ahead on the right.

 

In 1858 the Reverend Joseph Ruggles Wilson became pastor of First Presbyterian Church in Augusta, where he moved from Staunton, Virginia.  His family included his wife, Jeanie Woodrow Wilson, and three children, Marion aged 7, Annie aged 5, and Thomas Woodrow Wilson, who had just passed his first birthday. A fourth child, Joseph Wilson, Jr., was born in Augusta in 1867. Joseph Wilson would remain in his position until 1870 throughout the years of the Civil War and Reconstruction.

In 1860 the church Trustees bought a new house to serve as the manse for their pastor and his family. It remained the church manse until 1930, serving successive pastors of First Presbyterian Church for 70 years. During the Great Depression it was sold as a private residence, as it remained until 1991 when it was purchased at public auction by Historic Augusta, Inc. It opened as a house museum in 2001 depicting the life of our 28th President as a child growing up in the American South during the Civil War and Reconstruction.

Guided tours of the handsome two-and-one-half story brick house and its servants’ quarters convey the fascinating story of the place where President Wilson lived from the age of 3 through much of his 14th year, representing the formative period of his life that would affect him throughout his academic, political and diplomatic careers. Original and period furnishings, family photos, and actual artifacts depict a well-appointed and sophisticated home of the 1860s.

Tours begin in the visitors’ center next door at the Boyhood Home of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Joseph Rucker Lamar, who was his childhood friend. A 12-minute video, further exhibits about Wilson’s life, and a gift shop are found there. Admission is charged.

Historic Augusta, Inc. owns and operates the home, and members of the Augusta Town Committee, National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia have played many pivotal roles in preserving and supporting the house museum.

The Georgia Logo

Read more about the new state and national society logos in the Members section.

The Georgia Society

The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in The State of Georgia
Headquarters is located at
319 Abercorn Street
Savannah Georgia 31401
(912) 238-3263 FAX: 912-238-3264
www.nscdaga.org
slynch@andrewlowhouse.com

Georgia Society Pin

The official pin of the Georgia Society is the flower of the Franklinia alatamaha tree. For more information or to download an order form, see the "Forms" section.