George Whitefield Memorial Chapel

Bethesda Academy, Savannah, Georgia

In 1916 The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia began the building of a chapel on the grounds of Bethesda Orphan House and Academy, now called Bethesda Academy, that has the distinction of being the oldest child caring institution in the country.  The completion of the chapel was delayed by World War I and was  finally finished in 1925.

The Reverend George Whitefield for whom the chapel is named, was the eighteenth century’s most widely traveled evangelical revivalist.  At that time, he was succeeded in name recognition only by George Washington.

On April 7, the Georgia Dames held a commemorative service in the chapel to recognize the centennial anniversary of the laying of the cornerstone of the chapel.  The time capsule was removed where coins and a newspaper were found.  The newspaper will be conserved at the Georgia Archives and, along with coins, will serve as a tangible memory of this unique occasion.

Photographs by Diane Fulmer

View of Chapel

View of Chapel

Time capsule (copper box) found inside the cornerstone of the chapel, discolored because of moisture leakage

Time capsule (copper box) found inside the cornerstone of the chapel, discolored because of moisture leakage

Coins found inside the copper box

Coins found inside the copper box

April 28, 1916, copy of The Savannah Morning News found inside the copper box

April 28, 1916, copy of The Savannah Morning News found inside the copper box

Altar of the George Whitefield Memorial Chapel

Altar of the George Whitefield Memorial Chapel

Bethesda Academy students serving as ushers for the One Hundredth Anniversary Service of Commemoration

Bethesda Academy students serving as ushers for the One Hundredth Anniversary Service of Commemoration

Dr. David Tribble, President of Bethesda Academy, speaking

Dr. David Tribble, President of Bethesda Academy, speaking

Reception on the grounds of Bethesda Academy after the service

Reception on the grounds of Bethesda Academy after the service

Members placing items in new box for the next one hundred years

Betty Morris, Louise Howard, and Connie Williams placing items in new box for the next one hundred years

 

The Georgia Logo

Read more about the new state and national society logos in the Members section.

The Georgia Society

The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in The State of Georgia
Headquarters located on the ground floor of the Andrew Low House Museum
329 Abercorn Street
Savannah Georgia 31401
(912) 233-1828 FAX: 912-233-9239
www.nscdaga.org
Director: Sbohlin@andrewlowhouse.com

Georgia Society Pin

The official pin of the Georgia Society is the flower of the Franklinia alatamaha tree. For more information or to download an order form, see the "Forms" section.