Major Projects

Projects and Achievements of the Georgia SocietyThis does not include all of the many contributions made to the Andrew Low House over the years.
1899 Wright Square, Savannah: Erected a granite boulder on the site of Tomochichi’s grave and placed a bronze tablet on the stone, commemorating his friendship for the English.NW corner of Whitaker and Broughton Streets, Savannah:  Placed a bronze tablet on Tondee’s Tavern to commemorate Georgia’s cradle of liberty.  Today, the tablet is on a modern building which replaced the Tavern.
1900 Paris, France:  Contributed to the statue of George Washington.
1901 St. Paul’s Churchyard, Augusta:  Erected a Celtic Cross of granite, 15 feet high, at the site of Colonial Fort Augusta which was built by order of General Oglethorpe and the Trustees in 1736.
1903 Corner of Abercorn and Congress Streets, Savannah:  Placed a bronze tablet in front of the site of the house where John Wesley lived while Rector of Christ Church, 1736-7.  The tablet was stolen several years ago.
1904 St. Simons Island:  The ruins of Fort Frederica and sixty feet of land in all directions was deeded to the Georgia Society in 1903 by Mrs. Belle Taylor.  In 1904, the Water Battery of the Fort was restored and a bronze tabled placed on the river side.  A second marker was placed at the entrance to the fort in 1934.  The deed to the Fort was presented to the National Park Service in 1942.
1906 In front of Hyatt Regency, Savannah:  Placed a stone bench on Bay Street, to mark the spot where General James Edward Oglethorpe pitched his tent on 12 February 1733.
1907 Portico of Christ Church, Savannah:  Placed a bronze tablet in memory of the Reverend George Whitefield.
1910 Chippewa Square, Savannah: In cooperation with three other groups, erected a bronze statue to General James Edward Oglethorpe.
1911 Ebenezer:  Placed a bronze tablet at Jerusalem Church, commemorating the virtues of the Salzburgers.
1913 St. Simons Island:   In cooperation with the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Georgia, erected a granite marker at the site of the Battle of Bloody Marsh, where Oglethorpe defeated the Spanish on 7 July 1742.
1915 Liberty County:  Restored the old brick wall and gateway at Midway Cemetery and placed a marble tablet on the wall, commemorating the early settlers of 1752.
1916 Ferguson Avenue, Savannah:  Laid the cornerstone for a nonsectarian chapel at Bethesda Orphanage, founded in 1740.  The building was completed and dedicated in honor of the Reverend George Whitefield in 1925.
1919-1924 Some Early Epitaphs in Georgia was published by the Society.  This carefully compiled record listed the epitaphs in seven Colonial cemeteries in the State.
1921 Published Mrs. Peter Wiltberger Meldrim’s booklet, Bonaventure, the Colonial Home of the Tattnalls.
1928 329 Abercorn Street, Savannah:  Purchased the Andrew Low House from the estate of Juliette Gordon Low for $37,500.
1931 Savannah:  Placed a bronze tablet on the building at 107 East Broughton St, commemorating the site of the first newspaper in the Colony, The Georgia Gazette.329 Abercorn, Savannah:  Placed a bronze tablet on the garden gate of the Andrew Low House, giving a brief history.
1933 To commemorate Georgia’s Bicentennial, published Georgia: A Pageant of Years, a history in the form of a datebook.
1935 Savannah River at Shell Bluff near Augusta:  Augusta Town Committee restored the cemetery of New Savannah, also called the Colonial Cemetery, which dates from 1733 and secured a bronze tablet identifying the cemetery and the work done by The Augusta Town Committee.
1936 Darien:  In cooperation with the Society of Colonial Wars and the St. Andrew’s Society, erected a monument of pink Georgia marble, honoring the Scottish Highlanders who founded New Inverness in 1736.
1937 Spring Street and Nottingham Drive, Macon:  The Macon Town Committee placed a granite boulder at the site of Oglethorpe’s camping ground on his journey to the council of Indian tribes at Coweta.Three articles were published under the title of Georgia’s Disputed Ruins, through the Historical Activities Committee.
1939 Augusta: Augusta Town Committee erected a bronze tablet at Richmond County Court House, inscribed with the names of Georgia delegates and signers of the Ordinance of Ratification on 2 January 1788.  (Building burned in the 1950’s).Cobb County: Marietta Town Committee placed a boulder with bronze tablet at Morris’ Crossroads, marking the Indian Hightower Trail.  This trail was used by the Cherokee Indians before the land was settled.
1940 DeSoto Trail:  Town Committees presented markers for the DeSoto Trail through Georgia, in celebration of the 400th anniversary of the discovery of the Mississippi River by DeSoto.
1941 The Society financed the photostating of 35 sets of the Chatham County Map Collection, a W.P.A. project.  These maps, published by the University of Georgia Press and copyrighted by the Society, consisted of 42 pages with 90 tracings of old maps of early Georgia plantations and the township of Savannah, 1752-1871.
1942 Milledgeville: Milledgeville Town Committee indexed and published a plat with a census of Memory Hill Cemetery, in the historic district.
1944 The Society published The Letters of Don Juan McQueen to His Family, written from Spanish East Florida 1791-1807 and edited by Walter Charlton Hartridge.
1947 St. Simons Island:  Plaque was placed at Fort Frederica at the base of the flagpole, giving a history of the settlement.
1949 The Letters of Robert Mackay to His Wife, written from ports in America and England, 1795-1816, was published by the Society and edited by Walter Charlton Hartridge.
1950 Victory Drive, Columbus:  The Columbus Town Committee placed a bronze marker commemorating the Federal Wire Road, the first telegraph connecting the North and South.
1950 Cockspur Island:  In a clearing near Fort Pulaski, erected a monument at the site where John Wesley first landed in Georgia.Milledgeville:  The Milledgeville Town committee compiled and published a brochure outlining a walking tour of historic homes.
1958 Bulloch County:  Placed a bronze tablet commemorating John Abbott (1751-1840), Georgia’s first naturalist.  (The marker was later vandalized.)
1958-1959 All Saints Church, Cranham, Essex, England:  In cooperation with the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Georgia, installed an altar rail in the chancel, a Priest’s desk and choir stall of walnut, carved with Oglethorpe’s crest and the Georgia seal.  Oglethorpe and his wife are buried in the churchyard.
1961 The Society published Halifax to Savannah Letters of Michael Wallace.  The book was edited by Walter Charlton Hartridge.Athens:  Athens Town Committee completed an historic pamphlet, Some Early Athens Streets.
1961-1964 Colonial Cemetery, Savannah:  With others, participated in the erection of a monument marking the grave of Button Gwinnett, Georgia Signer of the Declaration of Independence.
1962 Atlanta Town Committee compiled and published the Abstracts of Colonial Wills of the State of Georgia 1733-1777.
1966 Savannah:  Opened the Andrew Low House to the public, seven days a week.
1966-1967 Jekyll Island:  Made restoration efforts to the Horton-duBignon House, the oldest remaining dwelling in Georgia, paid for archaeological survey, landscaped grounds and preserved the ruins.
1968 Oglethorpe Avenue and Abercorn Street, Savannah: Aided in restoring Colonial Cemetery.
1969 Rankin House, Columbus: Columbus Town Committee furnished the dining room and north parlor in historic Rankin House (1850-70)Albany:  The Albany Town Committee published Albany on the Flint, a history of the city.
1972 526  Dawson Street, Thomasville:  The Thomasville Town Committee began restoration work on the Robert H. Hardaway House (1856) under the direction of Edward Vason Jones who specialized in antebellum Americana.  The house will serve as the Headquarters for the Thomasville Town Committee.
1975 Published Early Georgia Portraits, which contains over 600 portraits of members of early Georgia families.
1975-1978 The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Godalming, Surrey, England:  Contributed to restoration of the church bell and reports to the Norman tower.  Oglethorpe worshipped here as a youth.
1977 North Augusta Avenue, Waycross:  In the Okefenokee Heritage Center, Waycross Town Committee installed some architectural elements from the porch and parlor of Dr. Daniel Lott’s 1870 house.Darien:  Erected a monument in cooperation with three other patriotic societies, honoring the early settlers buried there.
1979 Lighthouse Keeper’s Cottage, St. Simons Island:  Placed a plaque at the site of Fort St. Simons.
1979-1993 Published a cookbook, Georgia Heritage – Treasured Recipes.
1983 Lafayette Square, Savannah:  Erected a bronze three tiered fountain, commemorating the 250th anniversary of the founding of Georgia.Rome:  Rome Town Committee reprinted Sibley Greer Mooney’s book Out of the Past…but Still Alive – 1861-1961 (a group of pen and ink drawings of Floyd County Landmarks with descriptive comments.)
1984 Promenade/River Walk, Columbus:  Columbus Town Committee gave a fountain commemorating Georgia’s semiquincentenniary.434 South Main Street, Madison:  Placed a large cast-iron urn on the grounds of the Madison-Morgan Cultural Center.Morris’ Crossroads, Marietta:  Marietta Town Committee rededicated the marker of The Indian Hightower Trail.402 Civic Center Hill, Rome:  Dedicated a new iron drinking fountain at the greater Rome Convention and Visitors Bureau.Valdosta:  Valdosta Town Committee commissioned a local artist to produce pen and ink drawings of six historic buildings, from which note paper was printed.
1985-1990 Atlanta:  Atlanta Town committee sponsored the project “Decorative Art of Georgia Prior to World War I” at the High Museum in Atlanta.  The object was to locate, record and photograph those artifacts made in Georgia between 1733-1915.
1986 Corner of Rees and Lamar Streets, Americus: The Americus Town Committee placed wrought iron gates at the entrance to historic Oak Grove Cemetery.

Brown-Stetson-Sanford House, Milledgeville:  Milledgeville Town Committee began restoration of a child’s room at the historic Brown-Stetson-Sanford house (c. 1825).

Corner of College Street and Georgia Avenue, Macon:  Macon Town Committee sponsored replacing a bronze marker at the site of Old Wesleyan College.  A bronze marker was also attached to the Wesley College historic marker.

1987 Corner of Thomas and Daugherty Streets, Athens:  The Athens Town Committee presented a sundial to the Athens Welcome Center for the garden.
1990 Milledgeville:  Milledgeville Town Committee updated and republished a brochure and map, outlining a walking tour of historic homes.
1993 An educational grant was made to the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences for the publication of Nostrums for Fashionable Entertainments: Dining in Georgia, 1800-1850.A video tape, Georgia Illustrated, 1513-1793, was made from old hand-tinted glass lantern slides found in the Andrew Low House, portraying the early history of Georgia.A sundial, featuring the seal of the Georgia Society, the Franklinia Alatamaha (Society’s pin) and our Centennial dates on the face, on a fluted pedestal base, with acanthus leaf capitol, was commissioned and given to each Town Committee for local placement and dedication.Valdosta:  Replaced 16 wooden markers of historical buildings and sites with permanent cast aluminum markers, partially funded by the State Society.
1995 Thomasville:  The historic Hardaway house which had served as Headquarters for the Thomasville Town Committee since 1972 is sold to a private buyer for use as a family residence.Augusta: The Augusta Town Committee produced a video (now DVD), “Achievements of The Augusta Town Committee of The Colonial Dames as reflected in Augusta’s Heritage”.Athens:  In conjunction with the Friends of Lucy Cobb and Seney-Stovall the Athens Town Committee published Higher Education of Women in the South: A History of the Lucy Cobb Institute.Athens:  The Athens Dames produced a coloring book, Three Famous Artists-Naturalists of the Colonial Period:  John Abbot, William Bartram and Mark Catesby.Published Light of Other Days by Caroline Couper Stiles Lovell.
1996 Augusta:  The Augusta Town Committee agreed to furnish a room in the boyhood home of Woodrow Wilson.
1997 The video “Andrew Low, A Savannah Story” , a joint venture between the Georgia Society and Georgia Public Television premiered on April 2, 1998.
1998 Macon:  The Macon Town Committee completed a film on the history of the Indian Mounds, which became Ocmulgee National Park in 1936.In cooperation with Georgia Public Television, the Society produced a video “Andrew Low, A Savannah Story”
1999-2010 The Thomasville Town Committee was responsible for funding the authentic restoration and appropriate furnishing (circa 1840’s – 1850’s) of the bathing room of the Andrew Low House.
1999 Published A Savannah Family, 1830-1901: Papers from the Clermont Huger Lee collection including “A Sketch of the Life of Frederic Augusta Habersham written for his three little children by their mother Leila Elliott Habersham the summer of 1863” compiled and edited by Dame Anna Habersham Wright Smith.
2000 The Georgia Society gave $5,000 to Ashantilly Center, Inc. in matching funds to help develop a preservation master plan for this property, located in McIntosh County.
2002 The Atlanta Town Committee cosponsored an exhibit entitled “Furniture of the American South: 1680-1830, The Colonial Williamsburg Collection” with the Atlanta History Center.
2003 The Moultrie Town Committee published Historic Flags of America.
2004 Augusta: The Augusta Town Committee received a grant of $3,000 from the State Society to help restore the home of U. S. Supreme Court Justice Joseph Rucker Lamar.  In 2006 a plaque was placed at the site commemorating the accomplishments of Justice and Mrs. Lamar.
2007 In cooperation with the Georgia Historical Society, the Georgia Society dedicated an historical marker for Governor John Houston in Perry, Georgia.The Moultrie Town Committee made a survey of Westview Cemetery cataloging 8,000 graves.  A walking or driving tour of the cemetery was designed to tell the story of 12 individuals buried there.The Thomasville Town Committee partnered with the Thomas County Historical Society and the Georgia Historical Society in placing an historical marker commemorating the site of Finney General Hospital, a World War II Army hospital in Thomas County.Summerville Cemetery, Augusta: The Augusta Town Committee paid tribute to Mrs. Joseph Rucker Lamar (Clarinda Pendleton) with the bronze memorial Colonial Dames marker installed at her gravesite for her splendid accomplishments and her inspiring leadership as the President of The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America, as Honorary President of the Georgia Society, and as Town Chairman of the Augusta Town Committee.
2008-2009 The Augusta Town Committee with matching funds from the Georgia Society gave $4,400 to digitize the Lamar (U. S. Supreme Court Justice Joseph Rucker Lamar and Clarinda Pendleton Lamar) Papers housed in the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries.  The papers are available online at http://hmfa.libs.uga.edu/hmfa/view?docId=ead/ms22-ead.xml.
2009 The Moultrie Town Committee produced two educational DVDs – “An Oral History of Colquitt County’s Early Days and Indian George” and “An Oral History of the Thigpen Trail”.The Marietta Town Committee presented the last of eight ceremonial sabers given to the Marietta High School ROTC program.The Rome Town Committee is refurbishing the Sexton House at Myrtle Hill Cemetery with matching funds from the State Society.Waycross:  Historic Lott Cemetery, a hardbound 414 page book that documents the oldest cemetery in Waycross, was published by the Waycross Town Committee and a marker was unveiled designating the Lott Cemetery on the National Register of Historic Places.Athens:  The Athens Town Committee completed work on the Oconee Hills Cemetery Flag Pole Pavilion and the Sexton House.
2010 Marietta:  The Marietta Town Committee spearheaded the effort to place an historic marker on the grounds of the former Georgia Military Institute.
2011 342 Drayton St., Savannah: The Society purchased a vacant lot which was originally part of the estate of Juliette Gordon Low.  This will be used for parking for our visitors, staff and volunteers with the dream of building a headquarters there in the future.

The Georgia Logo

Read more about the new state and national society logos in the Members section.

The Georgia Society

The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in The State of Georgia
Headquarters located on the ground floor of the Andrew Low House Museum
329 Abercorn Street
Savannah Georgia 31401
(912) 233-1828 FAX: 912-233-9239
www.nscdaga.org
Director: Sbohlin@andrewlowhouse.com

Georgia Society Pin

The official pin of the Georgia Society is the flower of the Franklinia alatamaha tree. For more information or to download an order form, see the "Forms" section.